So you’re starting college and you’re going to be taking your final or post test, quizzes and other examinations throughout the year. This is on top of a lot of reports, practicums, projects and all other responsibilities that eat up your time and your spare time. This can all result in a lot of stress, especially around examination time.
Below are lists of College Test Taking Tips to help make that stressful time of your College Life more manageable:
1. Check your latest test result. Keep track of your results from previous tests, so that you know what to focus on and study more of when it comes to the next test or exam. Also keep a diary of difficult to remember formulas, dates, keywords and the like. You could also write it down in the back of your test booklet so that you have it for quick reference.
2. When taking the test, skip those questions you don’t know. If you really don’t know the answer to a question, mark it and come back to it later. It is better to get through the whole test or exam than to spend too much time on questions that you don’t know. Once you have completed all the questions, go back through and answer the ones that you had trouble with.
3. Don’t forget to double check your answer. If you have your extra time after finishing the last item of your exam, you may want to make sure that you have followed all the directions correctly and that you haven’t skipped any pages. You might regret it once you have the result of your test and you failed just because you did not follow instructions.
4. Ask questions. If you’re unsure of a question or you have just completed a test and received your results back and something is not clear, don’t be afraid to ask so that you know for next time. You will only continue to get things wrong if you are not willing to ask questions when you don’t understand.
5. Follow your gut instinct. This is true and I honestly experience this. Most college students when they have not come across a certain problem and that unfortunately it was part of the test they commonly use their instincts. And when they second guess themselves, they choose the wrong answer.
6. Finally, relax. It is very important to keep your head focused during a test. This will help you to remember all the things you have studied. Being relaxed while taking the test will help you a lot. When you get panicky, there is a big risk that you will have a mind block and not be able to think of the answers you know.
Some college students use the study habit of scanning their notes the day or hours before the test begins. Some choose to do it in the week before. Try to scan a bit of each subject every day so that you do not end up having information overload. But moreover, it is just a matter of self discipline, determination and hard work and choosing the right study method for you! Good luck!